Watching YouTube videos offline can be incredibly convenient when you don’t have an internet connection. With the right tools and some simple steps, you can download YouTube videos to view later without an internet connection. This comprehensive guide will walk you through everything you need to know about downloading YouTube videos for offline viewing.
Why Download YouTube Videos?
There are many reasons you may want to download YouTube videos:
- Watch videos on a plane or train: If you are traveling somewhere without wifi, downloading videos beforehand ensures you’ll have entertainment.
- Save data: Watching streaming videos uses a lot of data. Downloading lets you save that data for when you really need it.
- Watch videos on restricted networks: Many schools, offices, and public networks block YouTube. Downloading lets you watch videos later.
- Archive favorite videos: YouTube videos can be deleted or made private. Downloading lets you keep a permanent copy.
- Show videos at events: If you want to show a YouTube video at an event or meeting, downloading ensures you’ll have the video even without internet.
- Learn from educational videos:Downloading instructional or academic videos allows you take notes or study the content closely offline.
- Share videos easily: Emailing or transferring downloaded videos is simpler than sharing streaming links.
- Reduce buffering: Downloaded videos never buffer or degrade in quality. You get a smooth, high-quality viewing experience.
- Access videos anywhere: Once downloaded, you can move and view the videos on any device without an internet connection.
Is Downloading YouTube Videos Legal?
Downloading videos from YouTube for personal offline use is completely legal in most countries. However, there are a few caveats:
- You cannot download videos you do not own for public distribution or commercial use without permission. That violates copyright.
- Some countries like Germany prohibit downloading even for personal use due to differences in copyright law.
- YouTube’s terms of service technically prohibit downloading. But this policy is not enforced for personal offline viewing.
As long as you follow common sense rules, there is little risk in downloading YouTube videos for personal offline viewing. Streaming video is generally permitted, while distributing downloaded copies is not.
YouTube Video Download Options
There are many software tools and online converter sites available to download YouTube videos. Here are some of the top options to consider:
Desktop downloader tools install on your computer and usually offer the fastest download speeds and greatest format flexibility:
- 4K Video Downloader – Free and paid versions available for Windows and Mac. Supports playlists.
- WinX YouTube Downloader – Free tool for Windows with no ads or malware. Easy to use.
- Freemake Video Downloader – Free for basic use on Windows, no watermarks. Limits some formats on free version.
- aTube Catcher – Free YouTube downloader for Windows with converter and burner. No ads or limits.
Browser extensions integrate downloading directly into your browser:
- Video DownloadHelper – Top browser extension available for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Opera. Fast and easy to use.
- EagleGet – Simple Chrome extension downloader with MP3 converter option.
- Ninja Download Manager – Chrome extension with schedule download options and resuming.
Online converters are quick, simple web tools that allow downloading without installing anything:
- VideoProc YouTube Converter – Straightforward online tool for downloading and converting YouTube videos.
- OnlineVideoConverter – Supports downloading from many sites. Limits file sizes on free version.
- OnlineYoutubeConverter – Minimalist web converter with unlimited use for non-commercial downloading.
- KeepVid – Web tool that allows downloading videos from 1000+ sites with no limits.
- YoutubeMonkey – Simple online downloader with MP3 audio ripping options. No size limits.
Mobile apps make downloading easy when on your smartphone or tablet:
- Videoder – Top Android and iOS app with advanced options like parallel downloading.
- SnapTube – Download videos on Android from YouTube and Facebook.Lite app.
- TubeMate – Popular Android app for downloading YouTube videos easily.
- 4K Video Downloader – Official mobile app versions for iOS and Android devices.
5 Best Practices for Downloading YouTube Videos
Follow these tips and best practices when downloading YouTube videos:
- Check the legality: As noted earlier, in most places downloading for personal use is fine, but not for commercial use.
- Don’t distribute copies: You can download for yourself, but you cannot share or distribute downloaded copies without permission.
- Download the optimal quality: Choose the highest quality available that makes sense for your needs to maximize video quality.
- Store videos securely: Keep downloaded videos in a safe place and avoid publicly posting them or riskcopyright issues.
- Credit the creator: If you use a downloaded video for permitted reasons like education, always credit the original YouTube creator.
Step-by-Step Guide to Downloading YouTube Videos
The exact steps to download a YouTube video can vary depending on what tool you use. But in general, you’ll follow this basic process:
1. Choose Your Downloader Tool
First, decide on the downloader that fits your needs using the list earlier in this guide. Browser extensions or desktop software provide the most options.
2. Copy the YouTube Video URL
Go to the YouTube video page and copy the URL from the address bar. This lets the downloader know which exact video to grab.
3. Paste the URL in Downloader
Open your chosen downloader and paste the copied YouTube URL into the search bar. This will pull up the video.
4. Select Download Options
Choose the file format, quality, subtitles, and any other options. Highest quality MP4 is recommended.
5. Download the YouTube Video
Click the download button! The video will download to your computer or device. Larger and longer videos may take some time.
6. Find and Watch Downloaded Video
When finished, the downloader will notify you. Locate the video file and watch it anytime without internet!
And that’s all there is to it! With the right software and these simple steps almost anyone can successfully download YouTube videos for convenient offline viewing.
YouTube Video Formats Comparison
YouTube offers several downloadable video formats. Here is an overview comparing the options to choose the best one:
| Format | Quality | File Size | Compatibility | Details |
| MP4 | Up to 4K | Large | Universal | Offers best quality and compatibility. |
| WEBM | Up to 4K | Smaller than MP4 | Good | Open source format, slightly lower compatibility. |
| AVI | Up to 1080p | Medium | Fair | Older format, moderate compatibility and quality. |
| MOV | Up to 1080p | Medium | Fair | Apple format, limited compatibility. |
| MKV | Up to 4K | Smaller | Low | Higher quality but limited device support. |
| 3GP | Up to 720p | Small | Mixed | Lower quality basic mobile format. |
| MP3 | Audio Only | Small | Universal | Extracts just audio content from videos. |
For most users, MP4 offers the perfect balance of high-quality and universal device compatibility. WEBM is also good for smaller file sizes. Avoid older formats like AVI or MOV when possible.
How to Download YouTube Playlists
Many YouTube channels offer playlists – collections of multiple videos you can play in sequence. It’s easy to download full YouTube playlists for offline viewing:
Using desktop software: Video downloader tools like 4K Video Downloader and Freemake Video Downloader allow choosing playlist download options. Simply paste the playlist URL.
Using browser extensions: Select playlist download mode before copying the URL in Video DownloadHelper and other YouTube browser extensions.
Using online converters: Paste the playlist URL into the bar on web tools like OnlineVideoConverter and choose playlist download settings.
Using smartphone apps: In YouTube downloader apps like Videoder, find the playlist download feature in options to grab each video.
Downloading the entire playlist downloads all the videos sequentially in one batch without needing to do each manually. Convenient for downloading full channels or series!
5 Handy Uses for Downloaded YouTube Videos
Once you’ve downloaded YouTube videos for offline use, here are some of the best ways to put them to use:
- Entertain kids: Download kid-friendly videos to entertain children on car rides or planes with no internet needed.
- Learn new skills: Save DIY, educational, or instructional videos to watch offline and learn from anywhere.
- Enjoy on your commute:Load up videos to watch on your daily bus, train, or subway ride without needing data.
- Watch saved playlists: Download full playlists from your favorite YouTube channels to binge offline.
- Present videos at events: Show relevant videos during presentations, events, or meetings without relying on sketchy wifi.
Remember the possibilities are endless with downloaded YouTube videos at your fingertips anytime, anywhere, without an internet connection!
Troubleshooting YouTube Video Downloading Problems
At times, you may encounter issues trying to download YouTube videos. Here are some common problems and fixes:
Downloader says video is unavailable: This typically means the video is restricted from downloading. YouTube sets this restriction sometimes. Try a different video.
Download keeps failing: Large 4K or 8K videos may fail on slow connections. Retry when you have faster internet speeds or choose a lower resolution.
Invalid video URL error: Double check that the URL copied from YouTube is complete without any mistakes. Refetch and repaste if needed.
Incomplete downloads: If a download stops partway, resume it and the tool should pick up where it left off. Connection issues can prevent full downloads.
Can’t find downloaded video: Look in your downloader tool history or file downloads folder to locate the video file after downloading it.
Playback issues: If a video won’t play properly offline, re-download it in a universal format like MP4. Format compatibility issues can prevent playback.
For any other issues, check the support section of your chosen downloader software. Troubleshooting and direct help is often available.
Frequently Asked Questions About Downloading YouTube Videos Offline
Still have some lingering questions about downloading YouTube videos to watch offline? Here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
Is downloading YouTube videos legal?
In most countries, downloading videos from YouTube for personal offline use is perfectly legal and does not violate any copyrights. Just don’t distribute downloaded copies.
Do I need an account to download YouTube videos?
You do not need to login or have an account to download YouTube videos. The downloaders only require the video URL.
What is the best quality for downloading YouTube videos?
Subscribe to our list
Don't worry, we don't spam
WebM and MP4 formats in the highest resolution available (up to 4K) will give you the best results for quality and compatibility.
Can I download age-restricted videos on YouTube?
Most download tools do not have trouble grabbing age-restricted videos. But you still need a YouTube account logged in with age verification to originally view them.
Is downloading faster than just watching videos offline?
Yes, downloading first improves buffer-free playback rather than relying on streaming saved video from YouTube when offline. Fully downloaded videos play far better.
How much space do downloaded YouTube videos take?
Length and quality determine size. A 5 minute 480p video is around 30MBs. A 1 hour lecture at 720p could be 250MBs. 4K videos over an hour may be 1-2GBs.
Can I download whole YouTube playlists or channels?
Many downloaders allow grabbing full playlists or channels in one batch by entering the playlist URL instead of a single video.
Downloading YouTube videos for offline viewing doesn’t have to be complicated. With this comprehensive guide, you now have all the tools and knowledge needed to easily download videos from YouTube to watch anytime without an internet connection. Never be without your favorite videos again!