Are you looking for a convenient way to feed your dog fresh, customized meals? Farmer’s Dog is a subscription dog food delivery service that creates individualized meal plans and ships pre-portioned dishes directly to your door.
In this comprehensive Farmer’s Dog review, we’ll cover everything you need to know about this fresh dog food delivery service, including:
Outline of Farmer’s Dog Review
- Overview of Farmer’s Dog custom dog food delivery
- How it works
- Cost breakdown
Farmer’s Dog Dog Food Ingredients
- Types of proteins, fruits, veggies, etc.
- Human-grade ingredients
- Nutrition analysis and vet approval
How Farmer’s Dog Works
- Customized meal plans
- Portion sizes and calories
- Frequency of deliveries
- Packaging and freshness
Taste and Quality of Farmer’s Dog Food
- Dog satisfaction ratings
- Palatability and shelf life
- Customer reviews of food taste and quality
Farmer’s Dog Pricing and Plans
- Pricing breakdown by weight and plan
- Details on meal plan options
- Subscription requirements
- Cost comparison to other brands
Farmer’s Dog Delivery Areas and Shipping
- Where Farmer’s Dog ships in the US
- Shipping costs
- Delivery frequency options
- How to pause or cancel
Farmer’s Dog Dog Food Recall History
- Brand reputation and transparency
- Details on past recalls (if any)
Farmer’s Dog Customer Reviews
- What real customers say about the food and service
- Ratings on value, customization, ease of use
Pros and Cons of Farmer’s Dog
- Summary of positives and negatives
- When it’s a good option for your dog
FAQs About Farmer’s Dog
- Answers to common questions on ingredients, cost, deliveries, etc.
The Verdict: Is Farmer’s Dog Worth It?
- Final recommendation based on this Farmer’s Dog review
Introduction to Farmer’s Dog Custom Dog Food Delivery
Farmer’s Dog is a subscription-based delivery service for fresh, customized dog food. They offer tailored meal plans made with all-natural ingredients shipped directly to your home.
The key features and benefits of Farmer’s Dog include:
- Human-grade ingredients: Meals are made with quality proteins, vegetables, fruits and supplements approved for human consumption.
- Customized nutrition: You’ll receive pre-portioned meals tailored to your dog’s unique caloric needs, age, breed size, and sensitivities.
- Veterinary support: In-house vets review your dog’s profile and approve all recipes. You can chat with them for personalized support.
- Freshness: Meals are prepared and shipped fresh within days and use preservatives to retain nutrients. Refrigerate upon arrival.
- Convenience: Take the guesswork out of meal planning and shopping. Food ships to your door at your selected frequency.
So how does Farmer’s Dog custom dog food delivery work exactly? And is it worth the premium price? Keep reading this in-depth Farmer’s Dog review to learn all the details.
Types of Ingredients in Farmer’s Dog Food
Farmer’s Dog uses high-quality, human-grade ingredients in all their recipes. This includes:
Fruits and Vegetables
- Sweet potatoes
- Brown rice
Oils and Supplements
- Coconut oil
- Fish oil
- Dried kelp
- Dried chicory root
Their kitchens follow human food safety standards. All ingredients come from suppliers focused on quality and traceability.
According to Farmer’s Dog, their food contains no fillers, by-products, or artificial preservatives and flavors. Meals are always made to order and shipped within days to retain freshness and nutrients.
Nutritional Analysis and Veterinary Approval
All recipes from Farmer’s Dog are formulated under guidance from their in-house veterinary team.
When you sign up, you’ll answer questions about your dog including:
- Activity level
- Body condition
- Allergies or sensitivities
This helps determine your dog’s ideal calorie needs and create a customized nutrition profile. Their team of vets reviews and approves all recipes.
You can also chat directly with their licensed veterinary nutritionists if you have any concerns. They partner with over 300 vets and nutritionists to analyze their food and provide support.
How the Farmer’s Dog Food Delivery Service Works
Here is an overview of how the Farmer’s Dog custom dog food delivery process works:
1. Create Your Dog’s Account
First, you sign up online and create a profile for your pup. This includes their basic info, health needs, dietary issues, etc.
2. Choose a Meal Plan
Next, select your desired meal plan package:
- 2 meal plan: 2 meals per day (8 packs per week)
- 3 meal plan: 3 meals per day (12 packs per week)
Portion sizes range from 2 oz to 12 oz based on your dog’s caloric needs. Calories are adjusted quarterly as your dog ages.
3. Pick Your Delivery Frequency
Choose how often to receive deliveries:
- Every week
- Every 2 weeks
- Every 4 weeks
Food ships refrigerated via 2-day delivery.
4. Receive Your Customized Meals
Boxes arrive with pre-portioned daily meals labeled with cooking instructions, ingredients, expiration, etc. Refrigerate and serve per directions.
You can pause or cancel anytime. Make changes to recipes by chatting with their team.
Taste and Quality of Farmer’s Dog’s Food
How does Farmer’s Dog food actually taste and what is the quality like? Here’s a look at palatability and customer impressions:
High Dog Satisfaction Ratings
Farmer’s Dog meals are designed to be irresistible to dogs. They conduct feeding trials on over 100,000 dogs of all breeds and sizes. Their foods receive high palatability ratings, even from picky eaters.
Human-Grade Ingredients Promote Flavor
Dogs enjoy the natural flavors from real meats, veggies, and superfoods. Unlike kibble, their foods contain no rendered mystery meats or artificial enhancers.
Positive Reviews on Flavor and Quality
Most customer reviews praise the fresh taste and meaty textures. Dogs seem to love the food and lick bowls clean. Negative reviews on taste are very rare.
Shelf Life of 5-7 Days
Meals are meant to be eaten within 5-7 days for peak freshness and only use preservatives when absolutely necessary for food safety.
Based on dog satisfaction, client feedback, and their use of high-quality ingredients, Farmer’s Dog food earns high marks for palatability and quality.
Pricing and Plans for Farmer’s Dog Food Delivery
Farmer’s Dog offers fully customizable meal plans with pricing based on your dog’s weight. Here are the current subscription costs:
| Plan | Price Per Week |
| Toy (0-10 lbs) | $22 |
| Small (11-25 lbs) | $27 |
| Medium (26-50 lbs) | $32 |
| Large (51-90 lbs) | $42 |
| Extra Large (91-125 lbs) | $52 |
- Prices listed are for the 2 meal per day plan
- The 3 meal per day plan is roughly 50% higher
For example, a medium sized dog would cost $32 per week ($128/month) on the 2 meal plan.
Signing up requires a 4 week minimum subscription. After that, you can cancel or adjust anytime.
Compared to other pre-made raw and fresh dog food brands, Farmer’s Dog is very competitively priced given their fully customizable approach.
Where Farmer’s Dog Ships and Delivery Details
Farmer’s Dog delivers customized dog food to all 48 contiguous United States.
They ship via FedEx 2-day refrigerated shipping. Your first box ships as soon as your dog’s custom recipes are ready, usually within 2 weeks of sign-up.
- Orders under $49 have a $9.95 shipping fee
- Orders over $49 ship free
So if you order 4 weeks at once, you typically meet the minimum for free shipping.
Your subsequent deliveries will ship automatically based on the frequency you selected. You can easily make account changes online to pause or adjust shipments.
Farmer’s Dog Recall History and Reputation
As a relatively new brand founded in 2014, Farmer’s Dog does not have any documented recalls or controversy regarding their products.
They have strong safety and food handling procedures in place, including:
- Independent lab analysis on ingredients
- Stringent sanitation and quality control
- Batch tracking from factories through final delivery
Their kitchen meets human-grade standards and they use transparent suppliers.
Overall, Farmer’s Dog has built a reputation for trustworthiness and quality control over their short history. Their commitment to freshness also limits the risks.
What Real Customers Say About Farmer’s Dog Food
Consumer reviews on Farmer’s Dog food run very positive overall. Here is a summary of common feedback:
- Health Benefits: Many dogs show better energy, less scratching, shinier coats after switching. Owners also report better digestion, less waste odor, and reduced allergies.
- Convenience: Customers appreciate the pre-portioned dishes, auto-deliveries, and not having to shop and prep meals. Saves a ton of time.
- Taste: Picky dogs seem to love the taste and crunch up meals eagerly. Owners say dogs lick bowls completely clean.
- Customer Service: Clients mention the staff is very responsive to questions and makes recipe tweaks quickly when needed.
- Cost: While expensive, many find the customized nutrition and convenience worth the premium price. Cheaper than some boutique, small-batch brands.
On sites like TrustPilot, Yelp, Google Reviews, and social media, Farmer’s Dog earns mainly 5 and 4 star ratings for their service. The main complaints relate to cost and occasional shipping delays.
Pros and Cons of Farmer’s Dog Food Delivery
Here is a final overview of the key positives and drawbacks of the Farmer’s Dog service based on our review:
- Fully customized meal plans
- Human-grade ingredients
- Vet-designed recipes
- Packed with nutrition
- Ships fresh not frozen
- Dogs love the taste
- Convenient auto-delivery
- Packs labeled with dates and info
- Available nationwide
- Expensive compared to kibble
- Must sign up for minimum 4 weeks
- Can’t customize individual ingredients
- Not the best for budget-conscious
- Some shipping delays may occur
Overall, Farmer’s Dog offers a top-notch fresh food option for dogs, albeit at a premium cost. It’s ideal for pet owners wanting optimal nutrition and convenience without having to prepare DIY meals.
FAQs About Farmer’s Dog Food Delivery Service
Does Farmer’s Dog offer single shipments or sample packs?
No, they require a minimum 4 week subscription at sign up. But you can pause or cancel anytime after the first month. This allows them to properly customize your recipes.
How long does Farmer’s Dog food last?
Meals last 5-7 days refrigerated. They use minimal preservatives to retain freshness and nutrition. Food ships frozen with cooler packs and thaws in transit, arriving chilled.
Can I customize recipes or switch proteins for my dog?
Yes, you can contact Farmer’s Dog anytime to request changes or swap ingredients based on your dog’s needs or preferences. Their team will modify recipes and update your deliveries.
Is a vet prescription needed to order Farmer’s Dog?
No prescription or approval is required. However, their in-house vets review all information you provide on your dog to design safe meal plans. You can also consult their veterinary team with any concerns.
Is grain-free dog food better?
Not necessarily. The recent link between grain-free diets and canine heart disease means grains can be a healthy component. Farmer’s Dog uses digestible whole grains like brown rice and oats.
Is fresh dog food better than kibble?
Fresh food has higher moisture content and more natural nutrition since it’s less processed. But not all dogs do well transitioning from kibble to raw. Farmer’s Dog offers gently cooked meals for easier digestion.
What happens if I need to delay a delivery?
You can easily change your delivery date as needed through your online account dashboard. Or contact Farmer’s Dog to pause your subscription at any time. There are no penalties.
The Verdict: Is Farmer’s Dog Worth It?
In our detailed Farmer’s Dog review, we covered how this fresh food delivery service works, what they offer, costs, nutrition, and more.
So should you sign your dog up for this customized meal plan?
For pet owners wanting the very best nutrition without any prep work, Farmer’s Dog is an excellent solution. The convenience of customized pre-made dishes shipped regularly is unmatched.
Dogs seem to relish the tasty recipes packed with high-quality ingredients. The service takes all the guesswork out of meal planning and shopping.
The only real downside is the above-average pricing. Compared to mass brands of kibble and canned food, Farmer’s Dog costs noticeably more. But that premium buys you freshness, customization, and top-notch nutrition.
Subscribe to our list
Don't worry, we don't spam
For many pet parents, the value is well worth it. Farmer’s Dog takes care of your dog’s unique dietary needs while saving you time and effort. We highly recommend giving it a try.
Other Meal Kit Options for Dogs
Farmer’s Dog is not the only fresh dog food delivery service out there. Here are some other popular options to consider:
- Pre-portioned fresh meals or DIY meal kits
- Human-grade ingredients
- Vet designed recipes
- Delivers nationwide
- Customizable meal plans
- Cooked or raw recipes
- Organic and local ingredients
- Ships to 48 states
- Tailored meal plans
- Four healthy recipe options
- Delivered frozen nationwide
- Contains superfoods and probiotics
The Farmers Dog
- Ready-to-serve cooked meals
- Made with USDA meats and organic produce
- Delivers across mainland U.S.
- Vet designed nutrition
While details vary, these brands all offer home-delivered meals customized to your dog’s needs. Most use human-grade ingredients, professional veterinary guidance, and pre-portioned fresh or frozen meals.
Pricing is similar across competitors, ranging from around $3 – $5 per day depending on your dog’s size and plan.
Be sure to compare companies closely to find one that best fits your pup’s diet and lifestyle. Look for top-notch nutrition, quality control, responsiveness, and ease of use.
Tips for Transitioning Your Dog to Fresh Food
Switching your dog from kibble to a fresh food diet takes some care. Here are tips to transition successfully:
- Mix new and old foods together over 7+ days to slowly adjust
- Keep close eye on stool consistency, energy levels
- Start with bland cooked protein like chicken, turkey, fish
- Gradually introduce richer proteins, fruits, veggies
- Reduce kibble until dog eats 100% new food
- Consult your vet if any concerns arise
Make changes slowly and watch for signs of an upset stomach. Some dogs may need probiotics or fiber supplements initially.
Farmer’s Dog has dietitians available to provide transitioning advice tailored specifically to your dog’s needs and health history when starting their meal plan.
Create Your Own Fresh Meals for Dogs
If you want to DIY your dog’s food at home, that’s an option too. Here are some tips:
- Consult your vet on recipe ideas and nutrition needs
- Rotate 2-3 protein sources like beef, turkey, chicken
- Include antioxidant-rich veggies like carrots, spinach
- Use digestible grains like brown rice, barley, oats
- Avoid onions, grapes, chocolate and other toxic foods
- Bone meals 2-3 times a week provides calcium
- Supplement with omega oils, glucosamine if needed
Making your own meals allows you to control all ingredients. But it requires research to create balanced recipes and lots of hands-on cooking. Going with a customized meal delivery service saves time while still providing fresh nutrition.
Enjoy the Benefits of Fresh Food for Your Dog
From traditional kibble to raw diets and customized meal plans, finding the best way to feed your dog can be a challenge.
Fresh food options like Farmer’s Dog offer a nutritious and convenient solution. Dogs thrive when eating balanced whole foods packed with natural flavor.
By having pre-made dishes tailored to your pup delivered regularly, you gain peace of mind knowing their dietary needs are met. Less time shopping, prepping, cooking leaves more time for fun.
If your goal is feeding your furry friend the finest food possible, fresh customized meal subscriptions are worth exploring. We hope this detailed Farmer’s Dog review gave you the info needed to decide if it’s right for your dog.