Movie fans have a lot to look forward to in the coming months and years. Major studios and production companies have exciting new films slated to hit theaters through 2024. From long-awaited sequels to novel adaptations to original concepts, there is no shortage of highly anticipated movies on the horizon.
This in-depth guide covers the most talked about upcoming movie releases. We will explore what makes each one a must-see along with details on plots, casts, directors, release dates and more. Read on for the definitive preview of the new movies generating serious buzz in 2023 and 2024.
Marvel Cinematic Universe Movies
The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) shows no signs of slowing down. Several installments of the highest grossing film franchise of all time are set to premiere over the next two years.
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
- Release Date: February 17, 2023
- Director: Peyton Reed
- Cast: Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Jonathan Majors
- About: The third Ant-Man movie follows Scott Lang and Hope Van Dyne as they are pulled into the Quantum Realm and clash with Kang the Conqueror.
After the multiverse-hopping adventures of the last few MCU chapters, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania brings the franchise back down to…well, ant-size. Scott Lang grapples with the consequences of his choices as father and superhero while the Van Dynes uncover secrets from their past.
With Kang the Conqueror as the villain, this film will directly set up the next Avengers installment. And with its Quantum Realm setting, Quantumania should deliver visually mesmerizing sequences never before seen in the MCU.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
- Release Date: May 5, 2023
- Director: James Gunn
- Cast: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Will Poulter
- About: The third Guardians movie concludes the story of the scrappy band of cosmic misfits.
Writer/director James Gunn returns to put a bow on his cosmic superhero trilogy. Very little is known about the plot aside from the official description promising an adventure that “will pull the team apart” to confront their destinies.
With the Guardians likely fractured, the emotional stakes will be high. And we will surely get plenty of humor, spectacle and comic book craziness along the way. An epic and poignant sendoff for Marvel’s beloved misfit heroes.
- Release Date: July 28, 2023
- Director: Nia DaCosta
- Cast: Brie Larson, Iman Vellani, Teyonah Parris
- About: Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel and Monica Rambeau team up in this sequel/spinoff extravaganza.
2022 welcomed two new heroines into the MCU with Ms. Marvel and the grown up Monica Rambeau. Next summer, they will join forces with OG Captain Marvel herself in The Marvels. Not much is known yet, but the concept alone is exciting.
With three generational Marvels joining forces, this promises both intergalactic action and relatable coming of age drama. After her scene-stealing debut, hopes are high for Iman Vellani’s Ms. Marvel to take an even bigger leap onto the blockbuster stage.
While Marvel owns the superhero genre, their distinguished competition DC has several cinematic offerings that could leave their own mark.
- Release Date: June 23, 2023
- Director: Andy Muschietti
- Cast: Ezra Miller, Michael Keaton, Ben Affleck
- About: The long-delayed Flash movie unites different cinematic takes on the speedster superhero.
There is a lot riding on The Flash. With controversy surrounding leading man Ezra Miller, DC hopes this film can hit reset for its messy extended universe. The plot reportedly involves the Barry Allen Flash traveling through time to change events – allowing Michael Keaton’s classic Batman to meet Ben Affleck’s.
While the drama behind the scenes raises concerns, there is no denying the concept holds exciting potential. TheFlash colliding different visions of DC history could rival the thrills of Spider-Man: No Way Home. Here’s hoping it lives up to the hype.
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
- Release Date: December 25, 2023
- Director: James Wan
- Cast: Jason Momoa, Amber Heard, Patrick Wilson
- About: The sequel to 2018’s Aquaman brings Arthur Curry back to Atlantis to prevent an ancient threat.
Director James Wan drowned the world in stunning underwater visual effects in the first Aquaman. The sequel takes the action deeper into the world of Atlantis as Jason Momoa’s Arthur Curry/Aquaman faces off against Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) and some kind of ancient mystery.
While details are vague, fans should expect epic world-building and effects as we dive deeper into the mythos of Atlantis. Aquaman brought a cool, rock n’ roll vibe to the aquatic superhero. Hopefully the sequel can deliver a worthy, wet n’ wild follow-up.
James Cameron’s long-awaited followups to the highest grossing movie ever arrive starting at the end of 2022. Avatar: The Way of Water is first in December 2022, followed by three further sequels in 2024, 2026 and 2028.
Avatar: The Way of Water
- Release Date: December 16, 2022
- Director: James Cameron
- Cast: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver
- About: Jake, Neytiri and their family must flee their home and explore the regions of Pandora.
Set over a decade after the original, The Way of Water returns audiences to the visually spectacular world of Pandora. Details remain mostly under wraps, but the trailers promise a continued focus on the connections between family and nature.
Of course, state of the art visual effects will make Pandora come to life like never before. If James Cameron can again revolutionize special effects and world-building, Avatar 2 has a shot at the kind of cultural impact of the first film. The stage is set for the next era in the Avatar saga.
- Release Dates:
- Avatar 3 – December 20, 2024
- Avatar 4 – December 18, 2026
- Avatar 5 – December 22, 2028
- Director: James Cameron
- Cast: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver
- About: Further sequels will depict the next generation of the Sully family on Pandora
Beyond The Way of Water, three additional Avatar sequels are planned. Few official details are available, but the movies promise to expand the world of Pandora and the story of Jake, Neytiri and their family.
James Cameron has had years to craft his new Avatar trilogy and has indicated extensive world-building across the four sequels. Given Cameron’s pedigree, expectations are sky-high for the continued sci-fi/fantasy saga. And the visual benchmark set by the series means moviegoers are in for a truly cinematic treat.
As with the MCU, Disney’s stewardship of the legendary sci-fi franchise Star Wars shows no sign of abating. Multiple new movies set in that iconic Galaxy Far, Far Away are in the works.
- Release Date: December 22, 2023
- Director: Patty Jenkins
- Cast: TBA
- About: A starfighter squadron movie set after the Skywalker Saga.
Very little is officially known about the plot of Rogue Squadron. But the name indicates it will focus on the famed X-wing flying aces previously seen battling the Empire.
With Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins at the helm, hopes are high for a thrilling, character-driven Star Wars adventure. By leaving behind the Skywalker story, this movie can forge a fresh path for the franchise. Dogfights in X-wings and TIE fighters above stunning alien worlds? Sign us up!
Untitled Taika Waititi Star Wars Movie
- Release Date: TBA
- Director: Taika Waititi
- Cast: TBA
- About: The comedic director of Thor: Ragnarok develops a new Star Wars film.
Disney tapped indie filmmaker Taika Waititi to write and direct an unspecified Star Wars feature after his hit Marvel entry Thor: Ragnarok. Waititi also voiced the scene-stealing droid IG-11 in the Disney+ series The Mandalorian.
Exactly what tone or story Waititi’s Star Wars film will take remains a mystery. But the hiring of the comedic director signals Lucasfilm wishes to branch out stylistically after concluding the Skywalker Saga. Hopefully his irreverent sensibilities can bring a fresh new flavor to the Galaxy.
Warner Bros. Films
Warner Bros. oversees several of the biggest names in pop culture, from DC comics to literary classics. They have some major adaptations on the horizon sure to excite loyal fans.
- Release Date: December 15, 2023
- Director: Paul King
- Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Olivia Colman, Sally Hawkins
- About: An origin story for the eccentric chocolatier Willy Wonka.
A prequel focused on Roald Dahl’s iconic candy tycoon, starring current Hollywood golden boy Timothée Chalamet in the title role. Plot details are unknown, but with a cast including Olivia Colman and director Paul King (Paddington), this take on Wonka’s beginnings shows promise.
The trick will be developing a backstory for such an eccentric character that enhances the Wonka mythos without detracting from Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp’s iconic portrayals. But the boundless imagination of Chalamet could make this a sweet treat.
- Release Date: July 21, 2023
- Director: Greta Gerwig
- Cast: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, Will Ferrell
- About: A live-action movie focusing on the world and characters of Barbie.
Never count out the power of nostalgia. Director Greta Gerwig takes the helm of a live-action movie set in the immersive world of the Barbie brand. Margot Robbie fills the role of the plastic icon in a meta film sure to provide cultural commentary.
Plot details are unknown, but casting funny man Ryan Gosling as Ken hints at a tongue-in-cheek tone. Will Ferrell is also on board as the CEO of a toy company. The Barbie film sounds to defy expectations; exactly what audiences want from acclaimed director Gerwig.
Universal has several highly anticipated sequels in popular ongoing franchises headed to theaters over the next two years.
Jurassic World: Dominion
- Release Date: June 10, 2022
- Director: Colin Trevorrow
- Cast: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum
- About: Conclusion to the new Jurassic World trilogy reunites characters from the original films.
The sixth film in the dino franchise aims to be the biggest yet. Dominion promises new prehistoric threats along with the return of Jurassic Park legends like Sam Neill’s Alan Grant and Laura Dern’s Ellie Sattler.
After the partial reboot of Jurassic World, fans are thrilled for this trilogy capper melding Jurassic generations. Writer/director Colin Trevorrow has teased the movie will expand the universe like never before. Hopefully that means going bigger, scarier and more nostalgic.
The Fast X
- Release Date: May 19, 2023
- Director: Louis Leterrier
- Cast: Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Jason Momoa, Brie Larson
- About: The tenth(!) Fast & Furious film continues the saga of Dom Toretto and his crew.
Believe it or not, the Fast & Furious franchise is gearing up for its tenth installment. Plot details are unknown but the movie promises to up the ante yet again for Toretto (Vin Diesel), Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) and family.
New additions like Jason Momoa and Brie Larson hint at fresh character dynamics. And director Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk) should ably handle the signature outrageous action. Fast X will surely deliver on fans’ need for speed.
The Expendables 4
- Release Date: September 22, 2023
- Director: Scott Waugh
- Cast: Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren, Megan Fox
- About: The veteran team of mercenaries reassembles for a new mission.
Sly Stallone’s band of aged action heroes returns, this time joined by Megan Fox as a CIA operative. Details are vague, but we can expect YA nods alongside bloody gun battles, explosions and self-aware humor.
With new cast members aboard, The Expendables 4 has the chance to pass the proverbial torch. Can the aging team complete one last mission? As long as the movie delivers rock ‘em sock ‘em action thrills, fans will be satisfied.
Family films and animated movies represent some of the most reliably anticipated releases. Studios like Disney, Pixar and Illumination have several animated projects in the pipeline with major commercial appeal.
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
- Release Date: June 2, 2023
- Directors: Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers, Justin K. Thompson
- Voice Cast: Shameik Moore, Hailee Steinfeld
- About: The sequel to Into the Spider-Verse sends Miles Morales across the multiverse.
After the Oscar-winning Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse brought Miles Morales to life like never before, the second part will expand the animated Spidey mythos across parallel dimensions.
With its psychedelic visual style and emphasis on inclusivity, Across the Spider-Verse has major expectations to live up to. Returning directors like Joaquim Dos Santos and Justin K. Thompson should confidently steer the ship. And the limitless potential of the Spider-Verse concept means the scope can be expanded exponentially.
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
- Release Date: April 7, 2023
- Directors: Aaron Horvath, Michael Jelenic
- Voice Cast: Chris Pratt, Anya Taylor-Joy, Charlie Day, Jack Black
- About: An animated adventure featuring Nintendo’s iconic mascot.
Nintendo’s mascot finally returns to cinemas nearly 30 years after his notorious live-action misfire. The Super Mario Bros. Movie sees Mario, Luigi and the whole Mushroom Kingdom brought to life through slick CGI animation.
Chris Pratt as Mario has raised some eyebrows. But the supporting cast like Anya Taylor-Joy as Peach and Jack Black as Bowser are pitch perfect. Under the guidance of Teen Titans GO! veterans Michael Jelenic and Aaron Horvath, this Mushroom Kingdom movie promises colorful animation and action.
The Little Mermaid
- Release Date: May 26, 2023
- Director: Rob Marshall
- Cast: Halle Bailey, Jonah Hauer-King, Melissa McCarthy
- About: Live-action remake of the 1989 Disney animated classic.
Disney continues remaking their animated library in live-action. This take on The Little Mermaid stars Halle Bailey as Ariel, along with Awkwafina as Scuttle and Melissa McCarthy as Ursula.
The beloved songs and whimsical story give this remake blockbuster potential. Halle Bailey is an exciting choice as Disney’s first Black live-action princess. And director Rob Marshall has experience adapting musicals like Chicago and Mary Poppins Returns. Under the sea awaits an enchanting experience.
The horror genre often provides some of the most anticipated smaller films devoid of pre-existing franchise pressures. Upcoming scary movies from respected studios like Blumhouse and A24 already have hardcore fans ready to scream.
- Release Date: January 6, 2023
- Director: Gerard Johnstone
- Cast: Allison Williams, Violet McGraw
- About: A robot companion for a young girl turns deadly.
One of the most talked about upcoming horror films is this sci-fi/psychological thriller produced by Blumhouse. In M3GAN, a robot companion for a child becomes overprotective with terrifying results.
Footage revealing the titular AI doll M3GAN quickly went viral for her creepy design. With a premise evoking classics like Child’s Play, hopes are high M3GAN can deliver sinister high-tech horror. Mark your calendars for an early 2023 scare.
- Release Date: March 10, 2023
- Directors: Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett
- Cast: Melissa Barrera, Jenna Ortega, Courteney Cox
- About: The horror franchise continues as Ghostface stalks a new group in New York City.
After rejuvenating the franchise with 2022’s hit Scream relaunch, Paramount keeps the scares coming. Scream VI shifts the location to New York as Ghostface terrorizes new characters connected to Scream (2022)’s survivors.
Courteney Cox returns as Gale Weathers alongside a new generation of potential victims like Scream breakout Jenna Ortega. With Radio Silence directors Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett back, Scream VI should satisfy our craving for meta-horror mayhem.
- Release Date: September 9, 2022
- Director: Gary Dauber
- Cast: Lewis Pullman, Makenzie Leigh, Alfre Woodard
- About: A new adaptation of Stephen King’s vampire novel.
Stephen King’s famous 1975 novel gets a modern big-screen makeover. Salem’s Lot follows a man who returns home to find his sleepy Maine town being overrun by vampires.
With horror veteran Gary Dauber (Annabelle Comes Home) directing and Louis Pullman (Top Gun: Maverick) starring, this adaptation aims to tap into timeless vampire fears. The premise of bloodsuckers invading a small town is naturally creepy. Salem’s Lot has serious potential to be one of the year’s scariest new horror films.
- Release Date: July 22, 2022
- Director: Jordan Peele
- Cast: Daniel Kaluuya, Keke Palmer, Steven Yeun
- About: Jordan Peele’s latest original horror about a mysterious force threatening a California ranch town.
After Get Out and Us, Jordan Peele has established himself as horror’s newest master. His original nightmares blend scares with social commentary. Plot details remain mysterious, but Nope seemingly involves a sinister presence lurking in the skies over a ranch.
With Peele weaving suspense and delivering chills through slow-building reveals, Nope should leave audiences disturbed and dissecting symbols. Get ready for another creepily thought-provoking descent into Peele’s subconscious.
For audiences craving pure escapism, several upcoming fantasy films promise to transport viewers into spectacular realms of magic and wonder.
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
- Release Date: March 3, 2023
- Directors: Jonathan Goldstein, John Francis Daley
- Cast: Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Rege-Jean Page
- About: An action-fantasy based on the legendary tabletop roleplaying game.
Fans have awaited a proper big-screen take on the cherished RPG universe since the 2000 misfire with Jeremy Irons. Honor Among Thieves aims to finally nail the blend of quippy humor and sweeping magical adventure.
With a charismatic cast including Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez and Bridgerton star Rege-Jean Page, this should capture the essence of heroes banding together on epic quests. Dungeons & Dragons deserves an adaptation as flavorful as a spellbinding game session.
- Release Date: August 11, 2023
- Director: Justin Simien
- Cast: Jared Leto, Jamie Lee Curtis, Winona Ryder, Dan Levy
- About: A horror adventure based on the popular Disney theme park ride.
Disney attempts to build a Haunted Mansion film franchise by focusing on the grim, ghoulish characters from the iconic ride. With Jared Leto starring and Dear White People director Justin Simien helming, this take aims to properly capture the macabre magic.
Packed with an eclectic cast, creepy visuals and ghostly mysticism, Haunted Mansion has all the ingredients to become a spirited new Disney property. This could be the perfect spooky-but-fun family adventure.
Subscribe to our list
Don't worry, we don't spam
Dune: Part Two
- Release Date: November 17, 2023
- Director: Denis Villeneuve
- Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson
- About: The concluding half of Denis Villeneuve’s adaptation of Frank Herbert’s epic sci-fi novel.
Fresh off the critical acclaim and Oscar wins for 2021’s Dune, Denis Villeneuve completes his ambitious two-part take on the seminal sci-fi novel. Dune: Part Two concludes the journey of Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) as he fulfills his destiny on the desert planet Arrakis.
Expect the visual splendor, grand world-building and operatic drama to reach new heights in the climax. Villeneuve aimed to do justice to Frank Herbert’s sprawling opus; the second half should fulfill that promise in epic fashion.
Other Must-See Upcoming Movies
Beyond sequels and franchise installments, original films from acclaimed directors also top most anticipated lists thanks to striking concepts and pedigreed talent.
- Release Date: December 25, 2022
- Director: Damien Chazelle
- Cast: Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Diego Calva
- About: A drama set in 1920s Hollywood during the transition from silent films to talkies.
Writer/director Damien Chazelle (La La Land) heads back to Hollywood’s Golden Age for this tale about the industry’s shift to sound. Plot details are under wraps but the premise has major awards potential.
With Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie as fading stars, the cast is stacked. And Chazelle has proven his ability to craft cinematic odes to bygone eras of Tinseltown. Babylon should be a stylish and bittersweet love letter to this fascinating period of change.
- Release Date: July 21, 2023
- Director: Christopher Nolan
- Cast: Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Robert Downey Jr.
- About: Biopic of J. Robert Oppenheimer, one of the fathers of the atomic bomb.
Few directors make movies as hotly anticipated as Christopher Nolan. His latest assembles an all-star cast to dramatize the moral dilemmas of physicist Oppenheimer.
With longtime Nolan collaborator Cillian Murphy in the lead role, expect a psychological character study within an epic wartime thriller. Nolan reteaming with Interstellar‘s Emily Blunt is another win. Oppenheimer has the makings of another ambitious and thought-provoking hit.
Killers of the Flower Moon
- Release Date: TBA 2023
- Director: Martin Scorsese
- Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro, Jesse Plemons
- About: True crime drama about the murders of Osage Nation Native Americans in 1920s Oklahoma.
Anytime Martin Scorsese reunites Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio for a prestige crime drama, it qualifies as a cinematic event. Killers of the Flower Moon dramatizes the ugly murders of the Osage tribe during the 1920s oil boom.
Scorsese is the master of gritty, introspective looks at violence and corruption. The intriguing real life story combined with powerhouse talent in front of and behind the camera makes this Netflix production a must-see.
- Release Date: November 11, 2022 (limited)
- Director: Steven Spielberg
- Cast: Michelle Williams, Paul Dano, Seth Rogen
- About: Spielberg’s semi-autobiographical film about his childhood introduction to filmmaking.
Steven Spielberg is set to win over audiences’ hearts by going back to his origins. The Fabelmans dramatizes his early fascination with cinema while growing up.
With Spielberg directing such a personal story, this shapes up as a touching and humorous ode to movies. Throw in Spielberg’s mastery of cinematic magic, and The Fabelmans should encapsulate why we love the medium.
The next few years promise a cornucopia of cinematic delights spanning superheroes, animation, horror and more. Whether craving thrilling blockbusters or thought-provoking original stories, movie lovers have much to anticipate.
From surefire hits like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and Avatar 2, to intriguing curiosities like Barbie and Jordan Peele’s latest, the future movie landscape looks bright. And with visionary directors like Damien Chazelle, Christopher Nolan and Steven Spielberg bringing new works to life, we can expect unforgettable movie moments ahead.
Strap in for a slate of releases primed to break box office records and change the game. The most anticipated upcoming movies show cinema still has that magical ability to captivate our imaginations.