Wireless headphones have become increasingly popular in recent years, offering freedom of movement without cables along with great sound quality. With so many options on the market, choosing the best wireless headphones for your needs in terms of sound, comfort and convenience can be challenging. This comprehensive guide will outline the key factors to consider and provide detailed reviews of the top wireless headphones to help you make an informed decision.
Outline of Contents
- Overview of Wireless Headphone Technology
- Key Factors to Consider When Choosing Wireless Headphones
- Sound Quality
- Noise Cancellation
- Comfort and Fit
- Battery Life
- Convenience Features
- Reviews of the Top Wireless Headphones
- Bose QuietComfort 45
- Sony WH-1000XM5
- Apple AirPods Max
- Sennheiser Momentum 4
- Anker Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro
- JBL Live 660NC
- Jabra Elite 7 Pro
- 1More Evo
- Bang & Olufsen Beoplay HX
- Avantree Aria Pro
- FAQs About Wireless Headphones
- What is the difference between noise cancelling and noise isolation?
- Are more expensive wireless headphones worth the cost?
- How do I choose the right fit for my wireless headphones?
- How long should wireless headphones battery life last on average?
- Can I use wireless headphones on a plane?
- How do I keep my wireless headphones charged while traveling?
- Key Takeaways for Choosing the Best Wireless Headphones
Overview of Wireless Headphone Technology
Wireless headphones utilize Bluetooth technology to connect to your devices wirelessly, without the need for cables. Most modern wireless headphones use Bluetooth 5.0 or above, allowing connection distances of 800+ feet with high quality audio transmission.
Key wireless headphone technologies include:
- Drivers: The speaker drivers produce the sound you hear. Larger drivers typically deliver better sound quality.
- Codecs: Advanced codecs like aptX and AAC encode and transmit sound efficiently for better quality.
- Noise Cancelling: Using built-in microphones, noise cancelling headphones cancel out ambient noise digitally or passively isolate noise.
- Battery Life: Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries allow up to 30 hours of playtime, with fast charging features.
- Comfort Features: Plush ear pads, adjustable bands and lightweight materials provide all-day wearing comfort.
Now let’s look at the key factors to keep in mind while shopping for the best wireless headphones tailored to your needs and preferences.
Key Factors to Consider When Choosing Wireless Headphones
The most important factor for audiophiles is sound quality. Consider these specs:
- Frequency response: The range of bass, mids and treble the headphones can reproduce, measured in Hz. A wide range like 20Hz to 20kHz delivers complete sound.
- Drivers: Driver size and material impacts sound quality. Larger drivers (40mm+) with titanium or graphene deliver expansive sound.
- Impedance: Measured in ohms, higher impedance requires more power. For portable use, 16-32 ohms is ideal.
- Sensitivity: Measured in decibels, sensitivity indicates loudness. Look for 85db+ sensitivity for optimal volume.
- Codecs: Advanced codecs like AAC and aptX provide high-resolution wireless sound quality.
For blocking ambient noise, look for headphones with effective noise cancellation:
- Active Noise Cancellation (ANC): Uses built-in microphones to cancel external noise digitally. More effective than passive isolation.
- Passive Noise Isolation: Sealed earcup design physically blocks noise. Less effective than ANC but doesn’t require power.
- Adaptive ANC: Detects noise levels and adjusts cancellation strength accordingly for the best experience.
Comfort and Fit
For all-day wearing comfort, consider:
- Ear cup design: Over-ear and around-ear cups are more comfortable than on-ear for extended use. Memory foam padding helps too.
- Clamping force: Headphones that clamp too tightly can cause discomfort over time. Look for adjustable clamping force.
- Weight: Lightweight construction under 10 oz prevents neck fatigue.
- Materials: Breathable fabrics, glass fiber composites and aluminum keep headphones light and cool.
- Ear tips: Interchangeable silicone, foam and hybrid tips in different sizes allow you to customize the fit.
Maximize listening time away from the charger by looking for:
- Playtime per charge: The best wireless headphones offer 15-30 hours of listening per charge. Rapid charging can provide hours of use from minutes of charging.
- Case charging: Carrying cases with built-in batteries can extend playback time considerably. Wireless and solar powered cases are convenient.
- Power saving mode: Features like automatic pausing and sleep mode conserve battery when not in use.
Additional conveniences to look for include:
- Device pairing: Easy Bluetooth pairing, NFC tap-to-pair and multi-point connectivity allows switching between devices.
- Portability: Foldable/collapsible designs, carrying cases and removable cables make transportation easy.
- Controls: Intuitive touch, button, and gesture controls simplify adjusting volume, music playback and call management.
- Accessory support: Wired mode, airplane adaptors and audio cables allow flexible use in diverse situations.
- Voice assistant access: Built-in support for Siri, Google Assistant and Alexa allows hands-free voice commands.
- Companion app: Enables firmware updates, EQ presets, battery monitoring and other optimization and customization.
Wireless headphone prices span from $20 to $400+:
- Budget: Under $100 offer decent sound and battery life without advanced features.
- Mid-range: $100-$200 provides very good sound, comfort and noise cancellation.
- Premium: Over $200 are built with premium materials and technology for excellent sound.
Weigh your priorities to find the best balance of performance and value at the price point you want. Our wireless headphone reviews will highlight top options across price tiers.
Now let’s dive into detailed overviews of the top wireless headphones across sound, comfort and convenience factors.
Reviews of the Top Wireless Headphones
Bose QuietComfort 45
Overview: The Bose QuietComfort 45 offer class-leading noise cancellation, very good sound and all-day comfort.
Sound Quality: With large 45mm drivers, the QC45 reproduces clear mids and crisp highs. The bass isn’t overpowering but punchy and responsive. Sound profile leans bright to bring out details. Excellent for acoustic and classical music.
Noise Cancellation: The ANC performance is phenomenal, blocking ambient noise very effectively. Microphones inside and outside the earcups adapt to the environment. Quiet mode provides full isolation.
Comfort & Fit: Extremely comfortable for long listening sessions. Plush synthetic leather ear pads and headband pad stay cool on skin. Clamping force is gentle. Lightweight at just 8.5 oz.
Battery Life: 24 hours of playtime per charge is solid. Quick 15 minute charge yields 3.5 hours of play. USB-C charging.
Convenience: Multipoint Bluetooth pairing. Headphones fold up compactly. Tactile buttons allow control of music, calls and ANC. No companion app.
Summary: With class-leading noise cancellation, great comfort and very good sound quality, the Bose QC45 are an excellent overall choice for most buyers looking for premium wireless ANC headphones.
Overview: Featuring a sleek design and superb sound and noise cancellation, the Sony WH-1000XM5 are among the best wireless headphones available.
Sound Quality: The 30mm driver units deliver exceptional clarity across the frequency range. Audio reproduction is very balanced and detailed. Eight microphones optimize sound quality on calls.
Noise Cancellation: Edge-AI analyzes ambient noise 700 times per second for industry-leading active noise cancellation. Adaptive ANC adjusts to your environment.
Comfort & Fit: Plush fit leather headband and memory foam ear cups provide exceptional comfort. Just 254 grams in weight. Ear cups rotate to fit any head shape.
Battery Life: 30 hours of listening time per charge plus quick charging. The Speak-to-Chat feature automatically pauses playback when speaking.
Convenience: Pairs effortlessly with Bluetooth. Connect multiple devices and switch between them easily. Intuitive touch controls on earcups. Companion app for customization.
Summary: With their sleek design, the Sony WH-1000XM5 are the headphones to get if you want the most advanced noise-cancelling technology combined with great sound quality and comfort.
Apple AirPods Max
Overview: Delivering excellent sound, powerful ANC and seamless integration with Apple devices, the AirPods Max suit Apple users wanting premium wireless headphones.
Sound Quality: The 40mm dynamic drivers cover a wide frequency range for immersive audio with deep powerful bass, sparkling treble and clear mids. Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking adds immersion.
Noise Cancellation: Apple’s H1 chip enables real-time adaptive ANC to continuously drown ambient noise while preserving voice quality on calls. Transparency mode lets sound in.
Comfort & Fit: The breathable mesh fabric headband and memory foam ear cups maintain coolness and comfort during extended wear. Distributes weight evenly.
Battery Life: Around 20 hours of listening time. 5 minutes of charge provides 90 minutes of play. Charging case extends playtime to over 24 hours.
Convenience: Seamlessly pairs with Apple devices. Automatic device switching. Intuitive onboard and touch controls. Companion app for customization. Head tracking via gyro and accelerometer.
Summary: Packed with Apple’s signature hardware-software optimization, the AirPods Max provide an unparalleled wireless listening experience for Apple users looking for first-class sound, ANC and smart features.
Sennheiser Momentum 4
Overview: With gorgeous, premium design and top-notch audio performance, the Sennheiser Momentum 4 are great for discerning listeners who value state-of-the-art wireless sound.
Sound Quality: Outstanding audio with full, dynamic bass, vivid mids and sparkling treble thanks to large 42mm transducers. Support for hi-res audio codecs provides incredible musical nuance.
Noise Cancellation: Adaptive ANC automatically adjusts to ambient noise levels while the transparency mode lets in external sound when desired. Excellent call clarity.
Comfort & Fit: Luxurious sheepskin leather on the earpads and headband provide extreme comfort over long listening sessions. Adjustable sliders and swiveling earcups.
Battery Life: Gives around 20 hours of playtime between charges. Charging case with integrated power bank provides additional 70+ hours of battery life.
Convenience: Multi-device pairing with Bluetooth and NFC. Intuitive touch controls to manage music, volume and calls. Companion app for sound customization.
Summary: Built without compromise, the Sennheiser Momentum 4 deliver sensational audio fidelity along with adaptive ANC and handsome design flourishes that make them a joy to listen with on the go.
Anker Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro
Overview: As an affordable high-end option, the Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro earbuds offer powerful sound, ANC and customization in a compact form.
Sound Quality: Large 11mm drivers and coaxial acoustic architecture output dynamic and immersive sound across frequencies. Fully customizable EQ via app. Support for LDAC codec.
Noise Cancellation: Hybrid ANC combining feedforward and feedback mics quiets external noise very effectively. Ambient sound passthrough mode. Wind noise reduction.
Comfort & Fit: Extremely lightweight at just 6 grams per bud. Ergonomic shape. Interchangeable ear tips ensure a secure, comfortable fit for all-day wear. IPX4 water resistance rating.
Battery Life: 8 hours per charge plus 3 extra charges from the case equals 32 hours total. Qi wireless charging supported. 5 minute charge yields an hour of playtime.
Convenience: Bluetooth 5.2 allows reliable connectivity. Smart pause/resume when buds are removed/worn. App enables firmware updates, EQ presets and Find My Buds.
Summary: Packed with technology and customization for far less than the price of top brands, the Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro deliver excellent wireless sound and ANC in a compact form factor.
JBL Live 660NC
Overview: As an affordable around-ear option under $200, the JBL Live 660NC provide very good sound quality and ANC along with a comfortable, stylish design.
Sound Quality: 40mm dynamic drivers deliver bold JBL signature sound with rich bass, clear mids and crisp highs. Good detail across all frequencies. Customizable via companion app.
Noise Cancellation: Adaptive ANC with Smart Ambient uses microphones to optimize noise blocking and ambient awareness. Features like TalkThru allow conversing without removing headphones.
Comfort & Fit: Soft memory foam ear cushions, lightweight and adjustable padded headband enable comfortable all-day listening. Flip-out earcups support DJ-style wear.
Battery Life: Up to 50 hours of battery life for marathon listening sessions between charges. Quick charge yields 4 hours in 15 minutes.
Convenience: Multi-point Bluetooth 5.0 for easy device switching. On-ear controls for volume, music and calls. Detachable cable with 3.5mm for wired listening.
Summary: The JBL Live 660NC provide excellent value for buyers wanting good wireless ANC headphones without spending over $200, with very good sound, comfort and functionality.
Jabra Elite 7 Pro
Overview: Jabra’s Elite 7 Pro earbuds stand out for providing great sound and calls along with advanced ANC in a compact form.
Sound Quality: With large 12mm speakers, a semi-open design and active sound optimization (from 6 mics), the Elite 7 Pro delivers expansive, customized sound.
Noise Cancellation: Advanced hybrid ANC uses feedforward and feedback mics for finely tuned noise blocking. HearThrough allows filtered ambient noise passthrough when preferred.
Comfort & Fit: A comfortable, secure fit is ensured through the ergonomic shape and liquid silicone rubber ear tips. IP57 dust/water resistance. Under 5 grams each.
Battery Life: 8 hours playback (28 hours with case). Fast charging yields 1 hour of playtime in 10 minutes. Optimized power consumption.
Convenience: Sophisticated 6-mic system optimizes call clarity. Intuitive touch controls for calls/music/ANC. User-friendly mobile app. Wireless charging.
Summary: Combining remarkable sound, supreme call quality and advanced ANC in a petite form factor, the Jabra Elite 7 Pro are ideal for those wanting top-tier wireless earbuds without paying premium prices.
Overview: As an affordable over-ear option, the 1More Evo headphones provide great sound, ANC and battery life along with stylish good looks.
Sound Quality: Large 40mm graphene drivers reproduce expansive sound with authoritative bass and exceptional clarity across mids/highs. LDAC hi-res wireless technology.
Noise Cancellation: Three ANC modes (transport, indoor, outdoor) adaptively eliminate ambient noise while retaining voice clarity in calls. Wind noise resistance.
Comfort & Fit: The overhead band design is lightweight (9 oz) and adjustable. Soft memory foam earpads enable comfortable extended wear.
Battery Life: Up to 32 hours listening time per charge plus 15-minute quick charge provides 4 hours listening time.
Convenience: Easy Bluetooth 5.2 pairing; auto pause/play and wear detection. On-ear controls and app for sound personalization. Detachable audio cable.
Summary: Combining excellent sound, adaptive ANC modes and marathon battery life in a stylish, comfortable design, the 1More Evo are compelling wireless headphones available at a mid-range price point.
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay HX
Overview: The Beoplay HX deliver luxurious, Scandinavian-inspired styling along with superb sound and comfort, catering to discerning listeners.
Sound Quality: Equipped with 40mm drivers, the headphones produce bright, well-balanced sound with wide soundstage and spatial processing for pristine fidelity. Custom tuning via mobile app.
Noise Cancellation: Advanced hybrid ANC removes unwanted noise very effectively while amplifier ensures optimal volume. Wind noise reduction. Transparency mode.
Comfort & Fit: Constructed with premium materials like memory foam, lambskin and anodized aluminum for exceptional durability and opulent comfort.
Subscribe to our list
Don't worry, we don't spam
Battery Life: Provides up to 35 hours per charge. USB-C fast charging enables 50% charge in 20 minutes. Auto play/pause when removed.
Convenience: Elegant tactile controls on earcups. Bluetooth 5.1 with support for SBC, AAC and aptX Adaptive codecs. Multi-point pairing. Companion app integration.
Summary: Merging state-of-the-art technology with timeless Danish design and craftsmanship, the Beoplay HX deliver phenomenal wireless sound and comfort for discerning listeners.
Avantree Aria Pro
Overview: Providing quality sound and ANC at an affordable sub-$
Avantree Aria Pro
Overview: Providing quality sound and ANC at an affordable sub-$100 price point, the Avantree Aria Pro are well-rounded Bluetooth headphones suited for most.
Sound Quality: 40mm graphene drivers deliver well-balanced sound with punchy bass and clear mids/highs. Three EQ modes customizable via app. Supports AptX and AAC codecs.
Noise Cancellation: ANC uses 4 mics to reduce ambient noise effectively. Monitor mode lets in sound from surroundings when preferred. Good for travel.
Comfort & Fit: Padded headband and memory foam earcups enable comfortable all-day listening. Earcups fold inwards and swivel flat for portability.
Battery Life: 25 hours playback per charge is solid. Quick charge yields 2 hours from 10 minutes charging. Auto play/pause when removed.
Convenience: On-ear controls for volume/music/calls. Take calls and activate voice assistant. Bluetooth 5.2 ensures stable connectivity.
Summary: With very good sound and noise cancellation considering the affordable price, the Avantree Aria Pro make for a compelling purchase for budget-minded buyers.
FAQs About Wireless Headphones
What is the difference between noise cancelling and noise isolation?
Noise cancelling uses microphones and digital signal processing to actively cancel out ambient sound. Noise isolation relies solely on physical design elements like closed-back ear cups to passively block outside noise. Noise cancellation is more effective.
Are more expensive wireless headphones worth the cost?
Not always – many mid-range wireless headphones offer excellent sound and features. But premium models tend to have better build quality, audio drivers, ANC, and comfort for critical listeners. Assess your personal needs and budget.
How do I choose the right fit for my wireless headphones?
Look for headphones with adjustable headbands and ear cups that pivot/rotate to fine-tune the fit. Noise isolating in-ear buds come with different sized eartips to get a tight seal for your ear canal size.
How long should wireless headphones battery life last on average?
For over-ear headphones, battery life is ideally 20 to 30 hours between charges. Completely wireless earbuds typically last 4 to 8 hours per charge, with an additional 3 to 4 charges from the carrying case. Quick charging helps extend use.
Can I use wireless headphones on an airplane?
Yes, Bluetooth wireless headphones can be used in flight airplane mode. For connectivity where Bluetooth is restricted, look for headphones with a wired listening mode. Some airlines may prohibit noise cancelling headphones during critical takeoff/landing phases.
How do I keep my wireless headphones charged while traveling?
Carry an external battery pack to recharge wireless headphones multiple times. Use headphone cases that charge the earbuds. Pack the headphone USB charging cable and a wall charger compatible for the destination electrical outlets. Airplane/car charging adaptors are also available.
Key Takeaways for Choosing the Best Wireless Headphones
- Focus on sound quality, ANC effectiveness, comfort, battery life and connectivity features that are most important for your needs.
- On-ear and over-ear headphones provide better sound quality and noise cancellation than earbuds, at the cost of portability.
- For iPhone users, AirPods deliver seamless connectivity while other Bluetooth headphones offer wider compatibility.
- Budget options can provide very good sound and battery life, while premium models excel in noise cancellation and premium materials.
- Compact true wireless earbuds promote the most freedom of movement and portability for active use.
- Advanced codecs like aptX and proper driver size help headphones produce clearer high-resolution audio.
- Test the fit and comfort of headphones prior to purchase whenever possible.
With a wide range of outstanding wireless headphones on the market, take the time to identify models that stand out in your most needed features and preferred style to make a selection you’ll truly enjoy using day to day and during your travels.