Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be fully immersed in your favorite games? Ultrawide curved gaming monitors can provide an incredibly immersive gaming experience that makes you feel like you’re right in the middle of the action.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about ultrawide curved gaming monitors, from how they work to providing detailed reviews of the top models in 2023. Whether you’re a hardcore PC gamer or just looking to enhance your casual gaming, read on to discover if an ultrawide curved monitor is right for you.
What is an Ultrawide Curved Gaming Monitor?
An ultrawide curved gaming monitor is a computer monitor with an extra-wide aspect ratio and a curved screen designed to provide a super immersive gaming experience.
Here are the key features that set ultrawide curved gaming monitors apart:
- Extra-wide aspect ratio – Most standard monitors have a 16:9 aspect ratio. Ultrawides have a 21:9 or 32:9 aspect ratio, which provides a much wider field of view. This allows you to see more of the game environment.
- Curved screen – The monitor curves around your field of vision, which makes the screen feel like it wraps around you. This pulls you into the action and increases immersion.
- Panoramic views – The wider screen real estate lets you see more of the peripheral action in games. This gives you tactical advantages in multiplayer shooters and a more realistic experience in racing/flying sims.
- Cinematic experience – The 21:9 aspect ratio matches cinema screens. When combined with the wrap-around effect of the curve, movies and cinematic games feel like they surround you.
Ultrawide curved gaming monitors range in size from 30 to 49 inches diagonally. The curve radius also varies between models from 1800R to 3800R – the lower the number, the more aggressive the curve.
Table comparing standard and ultrawide monitors:
| | Standard 16:9 Monitor | Ultrawide Curved Monitor |
| Aspect Ratio | 16:9 | 21:9 or 32:9 |
| Field of View | Limited to center of screen | Expanded peripheral vision |
| Immersion | Moderate, flat screen | Highly immersive, surrounds you |
| Tactical Advantages | None | See more of environment |
| Cinematic Experience | No, wrong aspect ratio | Yes, matches cinema screens |
Benefits of Ultrawide Curved Gaming Monitors
There are many advantages ultrawide curved gaming monitors have over traditional 16:9 flat screens. Here are some of the key benefits:
More Immersive Gaming – The panoramic view and curve make you feel like you’re right in the game rather than just looking at a flat screen. First-person shooters, racing sims, and action RPGs are incredibly immersive.
Increased Sense of Realism – The expanded peripheral vision provided by the ultrawide screen allows you to react faster and improves spatial awareness, increasing the realism of fast-paced games.
Better for Racing & Flight Sims – The curve fills more of your vision, improving hand-eye coordination and control. You get better sense of speed and positioning.
Enhanced Strategy Gameplay – Being able to see more of the battlefield allows for better strategic planning in RTS and MMO games. Ultrawides give you expanded views to better coordinate attacks.
Tactical Advantages in Shooters – From seeing enemies enter your peripherals sooner to having expanded radar/mini-map visibility, ultrawides can give you an edge in FPS games.
More Screen Real Estate – The extra width is great for games, but also makes ultrawides excellent for multitasking and productivity. You can game while having browsers/chat windows open.
Cinematic Movie & Video Experience – The 21:9 aspect ratio matches cinema screens. Combined with the curve, movies and videos feel like theater screens surrounding you.
Ultrawide curved gaming monitors offer noticeable improvements to immersion and gameplay for many gaming genres. The expanded field of view pulls you into the action in a way standard monitors can’t match.
What to Look for in an Ultrawide Curved Gaming Monitor
When choosing an ultrawide curved gaming monitor, there are several key specifications and features to keep in mind:
- Screen size – Ultrawide monitors range from 30-49 inches diagonally. The larger the screen, the more immersive it is. 34-35 inches is the sweet spot for many gamers.
- Resolution – Higher resolutions like 3440×1440 and 5120×1440 provide sharper image quality. Curved monitors need a higher resolution to compensate for the curve.
- Refresh rate – Aim for 120Hz, 144Hz, or 240Hz. Higher refresh rates deliver ultrasmooth motion clarity for fast-paced action.
- Response time – Faster response times (~1ms) mean less motion blur. Key for fast games.
- Aspect ratio – 21:9 and 32:9 are the standard ultrawide formats. 32:9 provides an even wider field of view.
- Curve radius – 1800R-3800R is typical. Lower numbers mean a more aggressive curve for increased immersion.
- Adaptive sync – G-Sync and FreeSync prevent screen tearing by matching the monitor’s refresh rate to the GPU’s. Essential for gaming.
- Ports – Look for HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.4 ports to power high bandwidth requirements. USB ports are also convenient to have.
- Ergonomic stand – Adjustability is important. Look for options to adjust height, tilt, swivel and rotate to portrait orientation.
Prioritize resolution, refresh rate, aspect ratio and adaptive sync. An immersive 1500R curve and ergonomic stand also enhance the experience.
5 Best Ultrawide Curved Gaming Monitors in 2023
Ready to experience ultra immersive PC gaming? Here are 5 of the best ultrawide curved gaming monitors available in 2023 based on performance, visuals, and overall value:
1. Samsung Odyssey Neo G9
The Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 is the dream ultrawide for serious gamers. It has a massive 49-inch 32:9 aspect ratio QLED panel with DQHD 5120×1440 resolution and 240Hz refresh rate. The 1000R curve matches the curve of the human eye for maximum immersion.
- 49” DQHD 32:9 aspect ratio (equivalent of 2x 27” QHD displays side-by-side)
- 240Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time
- Quantum HDR2000, 2000 cd/m2 peak brightness
- 1000R curve for maximum immersion
- G-Sync and FreeSync Premium Pro support
- Ergonomic stand with tilt, swivel and height adjustment
With its DQHD resolution, 1000R curve and blistering 240Hz refresh rate, the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 provides a gaming experience like no other. Fast action is butter smooth and the surround view fills your peripheral vision. It’s the ultimate monitor for racing sims and first-person shooters. The high peak brightness makes HDR content really shine. The price may induce sticker shock, but it delivers an unrivaled ultra immersive experience.
2. LG 34GP950G-B
The LG 34GP950G-B strikes a great balance between high-end gaming performance and price. It sports a 34-inch 21:9 Nano IPS panel with UWQHD 3440×1440 resolution and 180Hz refresh rate. Adaptive sync delivers buttery action without tearing.
- 34” 21:9 WQHD Nano IPS panel (equal to 2x 16:9 QHD monitors side-by-side)
- UWQHD 3440×1440 resolution
- 180Hz refresh rate, 1ms GtG response time
- VESA DisplayHDR 600, HDR10 support
- 2300R curvature radius
- NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible, AMD FreeSync Premium Pro
- Tilt, height and pivot adjustment stand
With its beautifully vibrant image quality, high 180Hz refresh rate and smooth G-Sync/FreeSync variable refresh rate support, the LG 34GP950G-B excels at both fast-paced games and cinematic single-player experiences. The 34-inch screen surrounds you with immersion while the 3440×1440 resolution provides sharp details. At half the price of the Samsung Odyssey Neo, it hits a sweet spot for features and value.
3. Dell Alienware AW3423DW
Dell’s Alienware AW3423DW ushers in a new era of curved gaming monitors with its QD-OLED panel. The 21:9 ultrawide 34-inch screen combines the stunning contrast and colors of OLED with the superfast response time of Quantum Dot technology.
- 34” 21:9 curved QD-OLED monitor
- 3440×1440 UWQHD resolution
- 175Hz refresh rate, 0.1ms GtG response time
- VESA DisplayHDR 400 True Black, 98.5% DCI-P3
- 1900R curvature for immersion
- NVIDIA G-Sync Ultimate, AMD FreeSync Premium Pro
- Fully ergonomic stand
With its QD-OLED panel, the Alienware AW3423DW delivers intensely vivid HDR colors and perfectly black blacks. Combined with its 175Hz refresh rate and instant 0.1ms response time, it offers outstanding visuals whether blasting through high FPS esports matches or appreciating cinematic single-player adventures. As the first ever QD-OLED gaming monitor, it provides an unparalleled experience.
4. MSI Optix MPG341CQR
MSI’s Optix MPG341CQR provides an affordably priced path to ultra immersive 3440×1440 ultrawide gaming. It uses a 1500R curved VA panel with 34 inches of real estate, 3440×1440 resolution, and 144Hz refresh rate. The vivid image quality and high refresh rate deliver an engaging gaming experience.
- 34” 21:9 curved VA panel
- UWQHD 3440×1440 resolution
- 144Hz refresh rate, 1ms MPRT response time
- 1500R curve for immersion
- AMD FreeSync Premium Pro
- Height adjustable stand
- RGB lighting on back
While some monitors in its price range cut back on image quality, the Optix MPG341CQR manages to deliver very good color performance and contrast for a VA panel. Combined with FreeSync variable refresh rate support, high refresh rate, and generous curve, it provides an affordable path to ultra immersive ultrawide gaming. The RGB lighting is icing on the cake.
5. Acer Nitro XV340CK
For budget-minded gamers, the Acer Nitro XV340CK delivers solid ultrawide gaming performance without breaking the bank. It features a 34-inch IPS panel with 3440×1440 resolution and 144Hz refresh rate. The generous 1500R curve provides engrossing immersion for the price.
- 34” 21:9 curved IPS panel
- 3440×1440 UWQHD resolution
- 144Hz refresh rate, 1ms VRB response time
- 1500R curvature radius
- AMD FreeSync support
- HDR10 and 98% sRGB coverage
- Fully adjustable stand
While missing some premium features like G-Sync support and localized dimming, the Acer Nitro XV340CK still manages to deliver very good image quality thanks to its IPS panel and 98% sRGB gamut coverage. Pair that with its high refresh rate, responsive performance and affordable price, and it becomes one of the best entry-level options for ultrawide immersive gaming.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ultrawide Curved Gaming Monitors
Q: Are ultrawide monitors good for gaming?
A: Yes, ultrawide gaming monitors provide highly immersive and engaging gaming experiences. The expanded field of view increases realism and spatial awareness in many game genres. Ultrawides also offer tactical advantages in competitive multiplayer titles.
Subscribe to our list
Don't worry, we don't spam
Q: Do you need a powerful GPU for ultrawide gaming?
A: Running the latest games at 3440×1440 or higher resolutions does require a more powerful graphics card, especially if you want to play at high frame rates. For 3440×1440, a GPU like the NVIDIA RTX 3070 or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT is recommended. For 5120×1440, you’ll need at least an RTX 3080 or RX 6900 XT.
Q: Is a curved or flat ultrawide monitor better?
A: A curved ultrawide monitor is much more immersive and surrounds your peripheral vision better. The curve makes the wide screen feel more natural as it matches the contours of your eyes. Curved ultrawides are definitely preferred over flat for an optimal experience.
Q: Are HDR and high refresh rates important for ultrawide gaming monitors?
A: Yes, HDR rendering and high refresh rates like 144Hz or 240Hz allow ultrawide monitors to better display fast motion and enhanced visuals that modern games offer. HDR delivers expanded contrast and color, while fast refresh rates keep the action smooth and responsive.
Q: What’s the ideal screen size for a curved ultrawide gaming monitor?
A: The sweet spot for many gamers is 34-35 inches diagonal. This provides an incredibly immersive experience that fills your peripheral vision without being overwhelmingly large. Larger monitors like 38-inches are also options if you prefer more screen real estate.
Q: Do you need G-Sync or FreeSync for an ultrawide gaming monitor?
A: Adaptive sync technologies like G-Sync and FreeSync are highly recommended because they prevent screen tearing and keep gameplay smooth. G-Sync specifically offers the best experience if you have an NVIDIA GPU. Both G-Sync and FreeSync synchronize the monitor and GPU frames.
Q: Are ultrawide monitors suitable for productivity work too?
A: Yes, the extra horizontal screen space makes ultrawide monitors excellent for productivity. You can comfortably have multiple windows open side-by-side. Ultrawides are great for content creators, streamers, and multi-tasking power users.
Experience Ultra Immersive PC Gaming with an Ultrawide Curved Monitor
Ultrawide curved gaming monitors can take your immersion and engagement with games to the next level. The expanded peripheral view and wrap-around effect puts you right in the heart of the action. Fast refresh rates deliver buttery smooth motion so you can react quickly and capitalize on the enhanced situational awareness.
If you’re looking to take your gaming experience to more immersive heights, an ultrawide curved gaming monitor is highly recommended. Carefully consider the display size, resolution, curvature, refresh rate and adaptive sync technology to find the best option to match your GPU power and budget. Once you go ultrawide, you may never want to game on a standard monitor again!